I have a lovely casserole recipe to share! And you know how I love casseroles.
This recipe is actually a twist on my very favorite recipe – the Santa Fe Casserole. This meal is cheesy and flavorful, yet packed with good stuff, too. Cheers for Brussel sprouts!
I made a small version of this recipe to perfectly portion it out for two people. But you could always half or double for less or more. I bet it would freeze well.
Cheesy Brussel Sprout Casserole
Ingredients (for two servings):
- 10 Brussel sprouts, chopped in half
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup kidney beans, drained
- 2 tablespoons Italian herbs in a tube
- Salt to taste
- In a wok, bring 1/2 cup water to boil and add in Brussel sprouts and carrots. Let steam/stir-fry for 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Combine cooked brown rice, cheese, kidney beans, herbs, and salt in a large bowl. Drain Brussel sprouts and carrots and add in. Mix thoroughly.
- Pour into greased casserole and bake for 40 minutes or until center sets.
- Plate and enjoy!
That casserole was the PERFECT post-race dinner.
Other eats of the day include a bunch of strawberries and edamame as I spoke with my neighbor Tonya about her medical situation. I saw her brain scans and suggested she give her tumor a name. She laughed – she’s staying so positive. She’ll know in the next week or so what type of treatment she needs to have. I’ll be sure to keep you guys updated on her progress. It helps her so much to know that other people care.
Lunch #2 was scrambled egg, tofu, spinach, and watermelon:
And some crackers and hummus when I got back from work… Oh, Starbucks. What would I do with you and your Coffee Light Fraps?
Well – I’m going to try to convince the Husband to take me out for dessert, and then I’m going to crash. I am SUPER sore and tired from the race!
Goodnight! Have a good Saturday night.
What a healthy day! Wow – all clean eats. I hope you do get some dessert 🙂
Great, great race – and thanks for update re: Tonya. Will keep her in my prayers tonight.