Santa Fe Casserole
Hands down, this casserole is my favorite casserole… ever. And that’s quite a brave statement.
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon EVOO
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon pepper
- 1/2 can red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 and 1/2 cup brown rice, cooked (I used white in this version because we’re all out of brown)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 and 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 large green pepper, chopped
- Heat oven to 350 degrees and spray a casserole dish with EVOO spray.
- In a skillet, cook the onion, garlic, and EVOO on Medium High until tender. Add the salt and chili powder.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the pepper, milk, beans, COOKED brown rice, eggs, cheddar cheese, and green pepper.
- Pour mixture into casserole dish and sprinkle with extra pepper.
- Bake casserole for 25 minutes or until center is firm.
- Let cool 5 minutes and serve.