When I was in college, I was friends with some boys who were in a fraternity and had their own chef. The chef’s specialty was chicken salad sandwiches, which I had never eaten before but promptly became OBSESSED with – I would sneak into the kitchen and steal entire Ziploc bags of chicken salad mix! Don’t tell!
When I went vegetarian, chicken salad sandwiches were one of the meat dishes that I missed the most. One day, I figured out that you can easily sub out the chicken with plain baked tofu and make a vegetarian version of this awesome dish.
Here’s a fun twist on my favorite sandwich stuffer!
Instead of celery, this tofu salad contains chilled beets, which gives the dish a pinkish hue. Yum!
Pink Tofu Salad
Ingredients (makes three servings):
- 1 block tofu
- 4 chilled beets (I bought pre-cooked beets from produce section; not canned)
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped and loosely packed basil
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- Sprinkle salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Slice tofu into tiny square. No need to drain.
- Place tofu on greased cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop carrots and beets. Rinse to remove excess beet juice.
- Remove tofu from oven and let cool (or stick it in the freezer for 5 minutes).
- Combine carrots, beets, basil, salt and pepper, tofu, and yogurt in a small bowl.
- Scoop onto bread or wrap and serve!
I really loved this tofu salad twist. The beets were SO delicious!
In addition to plowing through my To Do list, I stopped by Omega Sports, a Girls on the Run supporter, to pick up our team’s packets for this Saturday’s 5K!
I cannot BELIEVE the race is this Saturday. I know the girls are ready to have fun! I just hope I can keep up.
Off to our last meeting… So sad.