I have an amazing recipe to share with you – a twist on two of my favorite dishes, Cornbread Quiche and Santa Fe Casserole.
Half-quiche, half-cornbread, this recipe is all about the spicy flavor. It is also my entry into Foodbuzz’s Pace Salsa recipe contest. The salsa was given to me as a free product to try and review on the blog.
Enough talk, let’s get down to business!
- 1 cup of dry cornbread mix + all necessary ingredients to prepare according to package directions
- 1 zucchini
- 5 eggs
- 1/4 cup hummus
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons Pace salsa
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare cornbread mix according to package directions.
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel away most of the zucchini into strips. Don’t worry about peeling the seedy inside. Use a knife to chop the strips into smaller pieces.
- Combine zucchini and cornbread mix in a small bowl. Grease a cast iron skillet and pour mix in.
- Cook for 10 minutes and remove from oven. Cornbread should be golden but not browned.
- In a small bowl, combine eggs, Pace salsa, and hummus. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour egg mix on top of cornbread, place back in oven, and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove, let stand, and slice into four portions.
- Serve with some more salsa!
The cornbread serves as a crust – if you want a higher cornbread to egg ratio, simply add more cornbread and cook the cornbread a bit longer. The hummus achieves a cheesy texture without the added dairy.
I LOVED this recipe and promptly ate 2 slices! It would be perfect for brunch, lunch, or even dinner.
This looks so good! I will have to try it! 🙂