Last night (in bed by 9:45, thankyouverymuch), I was in bed, staring at the ceiling, when this delicious recipe came to me:
You MUST make this breakfast recipe, stat. Itâ€™s along the very epic lines of Pancake Truffles or Cornbread Quiche. Unique, tasty, and actually healthy (you can reduce the sugar, if you want, but I really think it added to it).
I presentâ€¦ the Breakfast Roll-Up.
What is a Breakfast Roll-Up, you may be asking? Well, itâ€™s a grilled French Toast-style tortilla sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon and stuffed with a gooey, ooey grilled banana. Oh, heaven.
Ingredients (for 1 serving):
- 1 banana
- 1 whole wheat tortilla
- 1 egg
- Dash of vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon sugar or brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon almond butter or other nut butter
- Nuts for topping (I used cashew)
Heat a small, greased non-stick wok or pan on medium high. Place a banana (sliced lengthwise) in the center. The key to grilling a banana successfully is to not move it except to flip it, FYI!
- Heat a non-stick greased pan on medium high. In a small bowl, beat egg and vanilla. Using a fork to spread the mix, soak as much of the egg mix into the tortilla as you can.
- Place tortilla on greased pan and pour remaining egg mix over the top.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon and pour into top of tortilla.
- Use a spatula to fold in any egg mix that mightâ€™ve crept off the tortilla (whatâ€™s currently facing up is going to be the inside of the wrap).
- Once the bottom has browned, carefully flip the tortilla and cook for several minutes.
- Flip again before transferring to a plate.
- On one end, smear the almond butter. On the other, place the grilled bananas. Use the How to Roll a Wrap Method to tuck the first end under the grilled banana and use the almond butter as a seal.
- Plate, top with nuts, and enjoy.
This breakfast almost reminded me of a churro, which is a fried Spanish cinnamon-sugar breakfast pastry.
See the resemblance? I swear I tasted it!
Well, that meal certainly puts my morning off to a great start. 🙂