T1 and T2

in All Posts

Getting out of bed is totally worth a breakfast like this:

IMG_8182

I had a Grilled Banana Sandwich – the recipe is here.  If you haven’t made this lovely guy (or a Grilled Strawberry Sandwich version), you aren’t truly living.  Maybe a vegan could try it with Angela’s French Toast recipe and tell me if it works?

IMG_8178

By the way, for accountability’s sake, I’m not counting eggs as part of my 1 serving of dairy a day goal.  I’m also not counting my Half and Half in my coffee because it’s such a small amount.

Transitions, Transitions

Prepping for an Olympic Triathlon is SO much more intense than prepping for a road race.

IMG_8165

Out of the 20 races I’ve done, this tri definitely involves the most gear.

I’m starting to lay out everything I need for Sunday’s big race.  And I’m just floored at how much stuff I have to bring!  I did a Sprint Tri two years ago (but I disqualified from the swim), and I really don’t remember lugging all this stuff to the race.

Leg 1:  The 1.5 KM/0.9 MILE SWIM! (I am so freaking nervous!)

IMG_8166

I’m bringing:

• Goggles
  • A swim cap (the race provides you with a cap, but I’m bringing mine as back-up)
  • A wetsuit from WetsuitRental.com.  The water is going to be 55 degrees!
  • My sports bra and a string bikini bottom (explained below).

Transition 1 (T1) and Leg 2:  THE 40 KM/24.8 MILE BIKE! (Yayyy! Probably the leg I’m looking forward to the most)

IMG_8167

The most important part of T1 is rinsing off my feet because they will be covered in sand and dirt.  I have to run about 0.25 mile from the beach to T1.  I’m bringing a large water bottle and a towel; this method worked well at my sprint triathlon.

IMG_8176

The second most important part of T1 is refueling.  I’m going to take at least one shot of Goo (about 100 calories each) before getting on the bike.  I am also bringing BioFreeze to rub on my arm in case it’s sore.  I’ll have a water bottle on the bike already.

IMG_8174

After stripping off my wetsuit, I’ll be in a sports bra and a string bikini bottom.  I’m going to pull on my bike shorts, untie the bikini bottoms, and pull them off underneath.  That way, I’m not riding my bike in wet shorts (I don’t have a trisuit… if I get into triathlons, I will probably invest in one).  And then I’ll put on my No Meat Athlete tech shirt!  The back says, “Runs on Plants.” Hehe.

IMG_8175

AND THEN (T1 is definitely going to take the longest), I’m going to gear up and get on my bike.  Oh, I need to remember socks!

IMG_8172

T2 and Leg 3: THE 5.6 MILE RUN (which I hope to finish very, very fast.  I am always fast when I do a brick – a bike and then a run.)

IMG_8171

During T2, all I need to do is take off my bike gear, rack my bike, put on my knee sleeves (I need to go buy new ones tomorrow), put on my sneakers, and take another shot of Goo.

WHEW!  Am I forgetting anything? ANYTHING at all? Does this seem super intense to you (because it does to me!)?  Should I bring my Garmin?  I would love to know my run splits.  Maybe I can give it to the Husband to hold and grab it on the way to T1 so I don’t have to worry about it being stolen from my bike bag.

{ 126 comments }

• Jessica @ How Sweet March 12, 2010, 8:47 am

I love grilled banana sandwiches, too! They taste like such a treat. I’m am very excited about your race, Caitlin! I can’t wait to hear about it!

• Meghan@traveleatlove March 12, 2010, 8:50 am

If anyone can handle all of the intensity of the race, its you! I would say leave the garmin with your hubby or someone rather than leaving it unattended. You never know!

• Christie @ Honoring Health March 12, 2010, 8:50 am

I can’t believe it is almost here! You are going to do great!

• Heather (Heather's Dish) March 12, 2010, 8:50 am

i’ve never done a tri, but it sounds like you’ve got it down! you should totally take the garmin and get it from the husband. i’m so excited to read about it! you’re going to do great 🙂

• megan March 12, 2010, 8:50 am

oh my gosh all that stuff overwhelms me and i’m not even racing! ha, i think you’ve just cemented in my head that I never want to do a triathlon. I can’t wait to read about yours though…i’ll just live vicariously through your racing experiences if that’s alright with you 🙂

• Carrie...On The Cheap March 12, 2010, 8:53 am

I always wondered about riding/running in wet swimsuit bottoms…doesn’t seem pleasant! Good idea on untie-able bottoms!!

• Heather March 12, 2010, 8:53 am

What about a race belt in T1? I always have my race number on it and ready to go so once out of the water and changed I can just do it up quick and go.

• Caitlin March 12, 2010, 8:55 am

i think i’ll just pin my number to my shirt. i don’t have a race belt – i wish i did!

• Christina March 12, 2010, 8:53 am

Great idea with the untie bikini bottoms! =D

• Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine March 12, 2010, 8:54 am

All this prep is so exciting! The husband/Garmin idea sounds good to me, but I love knowing my times! Can’t wait to hear how you do, good luck!!

PB+nanner sandwich= amazing. I love those baninis!

• Freya @ Brit Chick Runs March 12, 2010, 8:55 am

What are you talking about Caitlin, you’re not nervous, you’re EXCITED! That’s whay my mum always used to say to me before a big competition and it worked 😀
    I think you should bring your garmin; if you do, you probably won’t need it, but The Powers That Be suggest that if you DON’T bring it, you’ll without a doubt need it 🙂 Logic! Have a great day 🙂

• Sara K. March 12, 2010, 8:55 am

Eggs aren’t technically dairy, right? I’ve recently cut out the dairy myself, due to stomach issues. I’m not lactose intolerant but it just wasn’t helping things. It can be difficult (I really miss yogurt) but I would say that I do feel better. I definitely still eat eggs though. No meat, no dairy, but I eat fish and eggs. How weird. Good luck on Sunday!

• Caitlin March 12, 2010, 9:05 am

i don’t count them as dairy, but some people do.

• Rachel March 12, 2010, 9:44 am

I have never heard of counting eggs as dairy before… I have always considered them a protein.

• Jenn March 12, 2010, 9:59 am

you would be surprised! When I tell people I’m allergic to dairy they automatically think I can’t have eggs either. I don’t really get why people think that, they’re aren’t the same at all. Maybe it’s because they are next to each other in American grocery stores haha!

• Amber K @ sparkpeople March 12, 2010, 12:07 pm

I have never heard of that before either. My first thought was, umm eggs aren’t dairy! How do people decide these things?? =)

• Lauren March 12, 2010, 12:57 pm

I always thought they were considered dairy on the food pyramid. Man have I been mislead 🙁

• michele March 13, 2010, 7:58 pm

Sorry that my first thought when I read your post was “eggs are not dairy!” Dairy products are typically milk products.

I belong to Weight Watchers and it’s always funny when someone asks if eggs are dairy on the WW bulletin board and 10 people jump down their throat to tell them they’re not.

• Carolyn March 12, 2010, 8:56 am

I can’t wait to see your recap of this!! Good luck!

• Allie March 12, 2010, 8:56 am

wow, that is intense- i think i was holding my breath reading about it!!! you must be so excited, you are going to do awesome with all your training and you sound so positive!

• Sara K. March 12, 2010, 8:56 am

By meat, I mean land animals. I know you consider seafood meat, so in that respect, I do eat meat. 🙂

• brandi March 12, 2010, 8:57 am

You look like you have everything! So exciting that it’s so close 😉

And why do people think eggs are dairy? I see that all the time and it makes no sense to me.

• Caitlin March 12, 2010, 9:06 am

i don’t get it either – i think dairy means ‘comes out of a tit’ but that just me.

• brandi March 12, 2010, 9:07 am

ha, me too! 🙂

• Megan @ Megzz Wins At Life March 12, 2010, 8:58 am

I think I would get really overwhelmed with all that stuff. You are going to do so great this weekend!! I can’t wait to read your recap 🙂

• Caitlin @ Right Foot Forward March 12, 2010, 8:58 am

Wow, that does seem intense! Only thing I see missing is your bike 😉 I also agree that you will probably want your Garmin. I’m sure the Husband will be able to hand it off to you during one of the transitions.

I can’t wait to hear all about this race!! Good luck!

• Kelly March 12, 2010, 8:59 am

My prep for the sprint tri was a lot like this but I just thought it was normal because I had only done 1 5k before it. I’ll check through my checklist but I don’t think you are forgetting anything.
    I didn’t bring my garmin because I was worried about it getting stolen, but the idea of giving it to your husband is a good one. They only let racers into our transition area so it probably would have been fine anyways.

• ida March 12, 2010, 8:59 am

I’ve never done a tri, but the transitions seem like one of the hardest parts!
    Maybe your husband can give you your garmin as you get out of the water? i would think it’d be a help on the bike too.

• Sara @ ActiveGal March 12, 2010, 9:02 am

There is so much preperation for a triathalon! I can’t wait for the day where I can compete in one as well! You are going to do GREAT!!!

• Julie March 12, 2010, 9:04 am

Sounds like your pretty set to go? Have you actually tried the whole swimsuit/bike short thing? And tried it wet? I would if you. It could be much more difficult then you think, best to be prepared. The garmin is nice to have although it is just one more thing to try and remember in T1 and T2…stopping and starting it.

Good luck and can’t wait to hear your race report!

• Caitlin March 12, 2010, 9:07 am

yea – i might try this in my shower later. LOL

• kalli@fitandfortysomething March 12, 2010, 9:04 am

You are right that is a lot of stuff! Never realized what you would have to bring. Good idea to lay it out and have a few days to make adjustments.
    If I were you I would not bring my garmin. Just one more thing two deal with.
    You are gonna do great!

• haya March 12, 2010, 9:04 am

this post really makes me want to do a tri!!! i love planning and organizing stuff and packing/getting ready for things. sounds like you have all the details covered (like the towel for your sandy feet and the bikini bottoms). a race belt would be handy, but it’s not totally necessary
    can’t wait to see how it goes!!

i don’t understand why eggs are lumped in with dairy. they’re not really remotely similar.

• Jen March 12, 2010, 9:05 am

Wow, lots of prep! You’re so organized though! You’re going to rock it!

What about extra socks between the bike and the run? My husband says he can never get his feet completely dry before the bike and hates running in wet socks- blisters!

• Caitlin March 12, 2010, 9:08 am

good idea!

• Matt March 12, 2010, 9:05 am

Definetly bring your Garmin! GOOD LUCK!

• Brie (The Fit Bride) March 12, 2010, 9:06 am

You forgot your fake shark fin to scare all the other swimmers away from you. 🙂

• Caitlin March 12, 2010, 9:07 am

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSs

• emily March 12, 2010, 9:07 am

Sunblock! Please, please say you are wearing sunblock. Also, I’m not sure if usually wear your wedding rings when you workout but I personally would take them off. Gripping the bike after my hands were slippery from the water (plus the cold makes my fingers shrink) would make me nervous about them slipping off.

• Caitlin March 12, 2010, 9:08 am

Good idea… I don’t normally take them off but I will for the race because of the water.

And sunblock is added to the list!

• Heather @ Side of Sneakers March 12, 2010, 9:09 am

Looks like your prepared!! Baby powder can be helpful– put it in your shoes or socks ahead of time- makes it easier to slide in slightly damp feet!!
    Also, visualizing how I’m going to do my transitions is really helpful for me- makes me comfortable with what I’m doing and calms my nerves; especially when I’m trying to sleep the night before 🙂

• Angela (Oh She Glows) March 12, 2010, 9:09 am

Ohhhh my gawd I have to try that grilled banana sandwich with the french toast!

I’m so excited for you this weekend. I would bring the Garmin because you might wish you had it.

• whitney March 12, 2010, 9:09 am

haha I’m not going to lie you have a ton of will power. It seems way too intense for my liking but your going to kick ass so don’t worry

• Heather @ Side of Sneakers March 12, 2010, 9:10 am

(It’s really bothering me that I typed “your” instead of “you’re”…too bad there’s no edit button ;))

• Kristen March 12, 2010, 9:13 am

Depending on the weather, you might want a hat for the run. And perhaps some body glide…just in case.

Good luck! I hope you have a great time. Do you have a relaxing mantra to repeat to yourself for the swim? It might help keep you calm with all the feet, arms, and water flying.

• Caitlin March 12, 2010, 9:15 am

hat is now on the list!

“just keep swimming, just keep swimming”?

• Jen March 12, 2010, 9:16 am

It looks like you’re all ready for the Tri! One of the comments mentioned that you should practice the T1 and T2 once to get the feel of it. It’s really frustrating and can ruin a race if the Transition doesn’t go well. I’m not sure if you can use your Hubby during the race for your Garmin. Most Tris don’t allow help from outside. I don’t know how strict this Tri will be.

Also, remember to pace yourself. With the excitement of it all, it’s easy to go out fast and then run out of energy 1/2 through. That run might be longer than you think. 😉

You’re going to totally ROCK this race!

• Run Sarah March 12, 2010, 9:17 am

Thanks for breaking it all down – it looks complicated but it looks like you’re well organized. Ingenious idea with the bikini bottoms, too!

• Lacey March 12, 2010, 9:19 am

looks awesome!!!! i am getting a no meat athlete tshirt asap 🙂 i absolutely love it + “runs on plants” 🙂

GOOD LUCK!!!!!! i have to tell you there’s no way i would do a Tri b/c of the swimming 🙂 i think it’s awesome how much you’ve put into it to be ready 🙂 go get ’em! 🙂

• Paige (Running Around Normal) March 12, 2010, 9:20 am

Holy tons of stuff to think about!! Very smart of you to prepare a couple days in advance. You are so prepared. You’re going to do amazing, I just know it 😀
    Good luck, girl!

• Andrea (canyoustayfordinner.com) March 12, 2010, 9:20 am

Wow, that is an intense amount of gear! But you’re going to be so well prepared and feel confident so it’s all worth it.
    I love your breakfast. French toast with banana sammy? Amazing!

• greenbean March 12, 2010, 9:23 am

i wouldn’t worry about the eggs either. they are not a dairy product. best of luck!

• Kathleen March 12, 2010, 9:27 am

Grilled Banana Sandwich looked soooooo good! Looks like you have it all to me! GOOD LUCK!

• Lauren @ Eater not a runner March 12, 2010, 9:28 am

Looks like you are well organized! Don’t forget extra socks for sure….you are going to rock it! 🙂

• Tami March 12, 2010, 9:28 am

good luck with your tri, my first one is in a few months i can’t wait!

my husband is laying in bed with a bag of frozen peas….no more babies for us! and now i need to get my IUD out

• Jennifer March 12, 2010, 9:29 am

Caitlin,
    Since the water will be quite cold–you NEED to warm up beforehand, especially since you haven’t been practicing in the wetsuit. The wetsuit can be constricting and the shock of cold water alone can make you panic. I have swam competitively for almost 16 years and after my 4th years of tri’s I had a cold swim and panicked. I made it through (and still did very well), but I should have warmed up.

All problems with cold water can be prevented if you swim in it for 5-10minutes before your wave starts so your body adjusts.

You won’t regret it! Good luck! You are ready!

• Susan March 12, 2010, 9:32 am

Practice practice practice!! Do it outside, in your living room, time yourself, go over it countless times in your head. Get to the race site early and MEMORIZE where your bike is so you don’t lose it!! A flashy towel helps, so it’s easier to spot. And when you get to the site, practice taking your bike on and off the rack, I struggled with mine a little and lost a few seconds. Oh! And a ballcap for the run. You’re hair will look awful in the pictures after being wet then crammed into the helmet 😉

• Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday March 12, 2010, 9:33 am

I second the ballcap idea

• Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete March 12, 2010, 9:55 am

I third! Obviously looks shouldn’t be an issue, but it is also annoying when you have been swimming and biking, and now you want to run and your hair is everywhere including in your face!

You are going to do great!!!

I also try to bring an extra pair of goggles. I somehow lost the first pair that I brought to my last one, and thank goodness I had a backup!

• Jen March 12, 2010, 9:36 am

Also – I use a big bucket – like a paint bucket (10 gallons or something) to lug all my gear. It helps if you have a gear-beeotch…er, I mean Hubby. 😉 Then, I flip the bucket over and use it as a seat when I’m cleaning my feet. It helps to have a place to sit when you’re putting your shoes on. Also – I’m sorry, I’m just so excited and I love talkinga about Tris! – try to get there really early. Then, you can get an end spot on the bike racks. Try to get close to the “bike out” place so you don’t have to run very far in your bike shoes. Most important though…get an end spot on the rack if possible. Yikes! I gotta teach my 2nd period class now!!

• Caitlin March 12, 2010, 9:40 am

good point! i will try to be on the end!

• Morgan @ Life After Bagels March 12, 2010, 9:37 am

having everything organized is hopefully making you less nervous!

• Becky March 12, 2010, 9:41 am

Eggs aren’t dairy…why would you count them?

• Joanne March 12, 2010, 9:42 am

You are going to do so well in that first leg that you are nervous about. Seriously, calm yourself down because nerves won’t help. Just look forwar to that second leg, the bike which you enjoy so much. The time will fly and you’ll be sailing down the road in a flash.

I wouldn’t bother with the Garmin – it’s just one more thing you have to worry about putting on. Bring it on your next Triathlon but for this one, just bring what you have to. Besides, isn’t there an official time for this?

Caitlin – you are going to do so good and feel so accomplished after Sunday. One more medal for the display case. Go You!

• Kelly March 12, 2010, 9:44 am

Looks like you’ve got everything pretty organized. I’m addicted to my garmin, so I would definitely want to have mine.

• Rachel March 12, 2010, 9:54 am

You have gotten some great advice. I also think a second pair of socks for T2 is a good idea. As is the sunblock and ball cap. Otherwise, I would say you are very, very well prepared. It is also a great idea to practice the T1 change from the wetsuit into the bike shorts. Take it from a swimmer – getting a wet suit off is much harder than you think!

You are going to do AWESOME on Sunday. I can’t wait to read all about it. Try to take deep breaths and relax in these last days coming up to it. You are going to rock the swimming portion!

• Lo-Jo March 12, 2010, 9:58 am

Crazy lady! I’d be most nervous about the swim portion too. Although, I’m a terrible swimmer, so that may be why. Good luck and can’t wait to read about it!

• Erin March 12, 2010, 9:59 am

You’re so organized! I have no tips to offer, but wanted to say good luck!! You’re going to be so proud of yourself when you finish, and rightfully so!!

Also, I wanted to thank you for re-posting Project Glow. I’ve been eating a GM every day for the last couple of weeks and exfoliating more, and it really shows. GMs = miracle workers! So thank you!

• Babbler March 12, 2010, 10:09 am

Sun screen? Will you need that? Good luck with the Tri this weekend. You are an inspiration!

• Heather March 12, 2010, 10:10 am

wow that is a TON of stuff to remember! GL!

• Tonyne @ Unlikely Success Story March 12, 2010, 10:11 am

Wow! It seems intense to me! That’s for sure! You’ll rock it though! 🙂

• Lisa March 12, 2010, 10:11 am

Holy intense batman! That looks crazy, but so exciting. You seem very prepared! Good luck!

• Lynn March 12, 2010, 10:12 am

Three tips:
    Bring a container that you can step into to wash your feet. Fill container with water ahead of time. Lay out towel next to container. Come in from swim, step into bucket of water, then onto towel. Put on socks and shoes. Faster than water bottle.
    Check out the surface from the swim to the transition area. I got a pair of cheap flip flops, placed them near the exit out of the water (make them a bright, garish pattern if you can), and out them on to run to the bike. I’m a wimp in barefeet, and this let me run harder without worrying about rocks, etc.
    If this is a big tri, with lots of bikes, bring a latex balloon and tie it to the rack where your bike is. You’ll be able to find your bike easily, as you see your balloon up in the air.
    I’m not so sure about the bikini plan. You’ll lose time. I swim in a Speedo suit, ride in a Speedo suit and run in the same suit. You will not notice the little things (like wet shorts which will dry quickly) when you’re in the heat of the race. I’d swim in your shorts under your wetsuit.
    Good luck!!

• Caitlin March 12, 2010, 10:28 am

ahh i love the balloon trick!

• Sarah March 12, 2010, 11:30 am

I would have to agree about the bikini bottom! My concern would be that as you take your wet, sticky wetsuit off your bikini would come off too. No bueno! I also race in a speedo and it dried under my bike shorts just fine!

• Julie March 12, 2010, 9:22 pm

In theory the balloon sounds good, but it usually seems to just get in the way. If the wind is blowing it ends up hitting you or someone else in the face continually. And the container sounds good, but it’s a lot to transport and you usually don’t get that big of space for transition. The hat I saw someone mention is a great idea to hide swim/helmet hair.

• Amy March 12, 2010, 10:14 am

Do NOT give the Garmin to your husband to hand to you. If you are seen getting assistance from a spectator, you can be disqualified, per triathlon rules. And assistance is basically defined as a spectator handing you something (including water bottles). If you want the Garmin, keep it in transition. Only athletes are allowed in there and they’ll be so focused on their own transition times, they won’t want to steal from you. Trust me, there will be a lot of bikes worth thousands of dollars that would be stolen long before a Garmin would be.

• Caitlin March 12, 2010, 10:28 am

thank you for telling me this! and you are so right about the bikes being stolen. LOL

• katie March 12, 2010, 10:16 am

i am sooo excited for you GIRL!! question: were you always a good swimmer or did you just kind of start swimming? i really want to try it out! but IM NOT A GOOD SWIMMER! running I can do all day long but swimming? i need some freaking floaties.
    PS- just went off my birth control cold turkey..i feel GREAT emotionally but physically ive had some shaky/lightheaded moments.

• Amy March 12, 2010, 10:18 am

You might want to wear flip flops for the walk from the transition area to the swim start … you can give them to your husband (or hide them on the side) after you arrive at the start.

I walked barefoot to the start once and got a cut on my foot — not a good way to start a race!

Don’t forget extra safety pins, too … for your race number and also for other people, too! I think I’ve been asked if I have an extra safety pin at every tri I’ve done.

• Nikita March 12, 2010, 10:42 am

This IS super intense, but if there’s anyone who can do it, its YOU! You are such an inspiration Caitlin! 🙂

• cara March 12, 2010, 10:47 am

Mmm grilled banana sandwich is great. I had it once at a restaurant and have been loving it ever since! Good luck with the tri!

• Lauren @ A Fit Foodie March 12, 2010, 11:02 am

I’d bring the Garmin so you’re curiosity will be entertained. You’re working so hard at this and you need to be validated that it paid off! So go for it, let the hubby hand you the Garmin and run your heart out towards the finish!!

• Coley March 12, 2010, 11:02 am

Usually triathlons will give you your splits. At least all the ones I have had. They split each leg and T1 and T2. Make sure to bring a race belt to put your race number on. They require the number to be on the back when you bike and on the front when you run. If you have it attached to a belt, you can just spin it around!

• Jenn @ Livewellfit March 12, 2010, 11:04 am

I know it feels intense…tri’s require so much planning and forethought for the transitions alone! My bro who is the master in my books says that only bring the garmin if it will help ease your mind or help you focus if you feel distracted or overwhelmed. Otherwise, forget it this time and focus on just having fun and enjoying the scenery! 🙂

• Rachel March 12, 2010, 11:06 am

Something that I found to always work in triathlons for T1 is bringing a bucket of water (or even just a large tupperware) that your feet can fit into. Step into it and move around really quick and it gets the sand off really well!

• Robyn March 12, 2010, 11:09 am

That looks soooo good. Good luck this weekend!!

• Bronwyn March 12, 2010, 11:09 am

Oooh, makes it seem so much more real doesn’t it?

I doubt you’ll really need the garmin, unless it will help you focus on times/where you are… Otherwise, they have the course all measured. 🙂

Have fun!

• Annie March 12, 2010, 11:09 am

Wow, that grilled banaynay sandwich looks amazing! I’ll definitely have to give that a try! Speaking of tri :), good luck with everything. It looks like you’re well prepared. I’m doing a mini indoor triathlon next weekend. I’ve never done one before so I’m pretty excited/nervous. If you have any words of wisdom to share, I’d love to hear them :).

• genesis March 12, 2010, 11:10 am

good luck. so exciting.

i have to ask, where did you get your single packets of biofreeze? i cant seem to find a retailer that sells biofreeze and i cant exactly snatch it from my physical therapist (or maybe i can….)

• Caitlin March 12, 2010, 11:27 am

it was handed out at the race expo i went to last.

• Shannon March 12, 2010, 11:14 am

garmin is totally up to you, but the only other thing i’d recommend is a garbage bag/towel on which to set everything up on! you’re going to ROCK it 🙂

• Danielle (Coffee Run) March 12, 2010, 11:15 am

Good luck! 😀
    I love the “No Meat Athlete” shirt. I have one too but I’m afraid to wear it to my first marathon cuz I might be struggling haha

And I like the new profile pic 🙂

• Jenna March 12, 2010, 11:18 am

First time commenter, long time lurker (such a gross word)! I just wanted to say good luck! You are going to do amazing! And now I am off to make a grilled banana sandwich, yum!

• skinnyrunner March 12, 2010, 11:19 am

good lordy thats a lot of gear! but it looks like you’ll need it all. and that would mega suck to not have what you need.

• Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly March 12, 2010, 11:20 am

When I did my tri I wore my water proof Polar heartrate monitor that way I could see my splits…do you have anything waterproof that you could wear? Even if it is just a cheapy watch from Target or something…then you could gage your run splits. Just an idea. GOOD LUCK!

• Allison March 12, 2010, 11:33 am

I have really been thinking about a triathlon as the next step in my journey now that I’ve done a half marathon (and am doing another this Sunday!) All the gear and transitioning makes me nervious, but honestly, after reading this post, I feel like you have great ideas. 🙂 You seem to have an awesome game plan. I’ll definitely be checking back at your tri posts and bookmarking this post to use when I am potentially preparing for my first one! Thanks for doing the hard part for me. 😉

• Amy March 12, 2010, 11:35 am

I second the hair issue. A hat is a good idea, but it may help to figure out a hairstyle that works well through all three sports. For me it was a braid. I did one french braid last year, and this year I switched to the small “bang” braid along my hairline + a ponytail. I think the regular braid actually worked better, because it was flat in my cap & helmet (and would be under your hat).
    A relatively vain concern, but hey! Race pictures are the best! Especially tri pics because you look so bad ass 🙂 Don’t want to ruin them with crazy hair!
    Best of luck! You will do GREAT!

• Jessica March 12, 2010, 11:47 am

Wow, this race in intense. AMAZING GIRL!

• Cassie @ A Very Busy Mind March 12, 2010, 11:54 am

Didn’t realize the swim was first – that’s good news, right?! Get it out of the way, at least.

• Molly @fuelherup March 12, 2010, 11:55 am

In my old xc races, I would give my dad a watch and he would run around to the miles to yell out my split. I don’t know what the course does, but if it loops around, maybe your husband could give you some splits? Putting the Garmin on would add some time to your transition.

How exciting for you!!! Marathon+first tri in the same year, and we’re only a few months on!

• Tracey March 12, 2010, 12:13 pm

I feel so overwhelmed just looking at all the stuff you need to bring.
    Best of luck to you, I know you will do great!

• Allison March 12, 2010, 12:22 pm

Why would you count eggs as dairy? Eggs come from chickens, not cows… obviously you know that, so do you just mean animal sources of protein?

And good luck on the tri!! You will rock the swim, just remember to BREATHE!!!

• Paige March 12, 2010, 12:48 pm

I’m rooting for you this weekend!!!

• Liz March 12, 2010, 12:54 pm

I’ve never posted before, but I love following your blog. I’ve been doing triathlons for a few years and was SO excited to see that you’re getting in on the fun! Just thought I’d give my two cents regarding the Garmin since I’ve had the same problem in the past. I wouldn’t give it to your husband. While it is unlikely, you can get disqualified for “getting outside assistance.” Not a fun way to be eliminated! What I always do is tuck the Garmin in my bike shoe so that it’s not in plain sight. Also, turn it on before you head out for the swim. Those things take forever to find the satellites, especially if you’re already moving and they have 12 hours of battery life so you should be fine to get through the race. Mine made it through an Ironman without dying! Not sure if you use the bike function, but it is super easy to switch from bike to run in t2 and it’s fun to look at your bike and run stats at the end. Have a great time. Triathlon is such a fun sport!

• Caitlin March 12, 2010, 4:14 pm

thanks for reading 🙂 several ppl told me i could be disqualified, too! oops! glad i asked!! heh

• Ashley March 12, 2010, 1:23 pm

It sounds intense but exciting!!! I have loved watching your progress in training for this. I can’t wait to train for one. I am most scared about biking, hehe 😉

• Megan @ Eat.Scrap.Run March 12, 2010, 1:27 pm

I always wrap my Garmin around my bike handlebars while setting up my bike. The triathlons I have done always have a lot of volunteers around, and they never let anyone other than the athletes in to the transition area, so I am not worried about leaving it there.

I agree with the other person who suggested to turn it on before you start the swim.

The whole time on the bike I just leave the Garmin on the handlebars. I don’t take it off the bike and put it on my wrist for the run until I am back in transition. I don’t want to risk dropping it while unhooking it from my bike.

You are going to do great!

• Amanda March 12, 2010, 2:21 pm

Good luck…and enjoy your triathlon this weekend! 🙂

• KatieTX March 12, 2010, 2:27 pm

I would wear some throw away flip flops while waiting for your swim group to start and to walk over to the swim entrance. I was barefoot and it sucked!! Triathlons are so much gear. Don’t forget your bodyglide!! Wet body plus movement=chafing!! And bring a hat for sure!!!

• Zoey March 12, 2010, 2:33 pm

I am so excited for you! Remember to enjoy the experience while you are racing. You have earned it with all your training.

My daughter does tri’s and she uses body glide before she puts on the wet suit; says it helps in taking it off faster during transition. She also recommends waterproof sunscreen, so you can put it on before the race and it doesn’t come off during the swim portion. Also at the tri’s I have seen her race at, lots of the ladies wear their hair in two braids to keep it out of the way.

Have a great race!

• Amy March 12, 2010, 2:42 pm

When I did my aquabike race last fall, they had race volunteers watching the transition area so that no gear was taken.

Good luck – the atmosphere at tris (in my experience) is reaaaally fun and invigorating and other racers are really helpful!!

• Nicole March 12, 2010, 3:23 pm

I really like your ‘No Meat Athlete’ shirt and want to purchase one online. Are you able to tell me what the sizing is like? It’s just I live in Australia and don’t want to order a shirt this far away for it not to fit, thanks.

• Caitlin March 12, 2010, 4:15 pm

The small is too small for me and I’m a pretty small person. I would order a size bigger than you normally get if you’re getting a tech t. The regular shirts are pretty true to size though.

• Kristin March 12, 2010, 4:02 pm

Thank you so much for sharing your training and preparation for this tri. I know you are going to do great! I am in my 10th year of doing triathlons and in honor of that I’m doing my first Olympic Distance one in June. Training starts Monday! Your blog has really inspired me and kept me motivates to accomplish this goal!

• Caitlin March 12, 2010, 4:15 pm

YAY way to go!

• Cynthia (It All Changes) March 12, 2010, 4:24 pm

Wow that’s a lot of prep. But I like that you set it all out ahead of time. I do that for races so that I have it all ready to go early morning of race day.

• Beth @ fatbustermack March 12, 2010, 5:01 pm

I wouldn’t worry about anything being stolen from transition, husband has done hundreds of tri’s and nothing has ever been stolen (including wallets, keys, ipods, phones) Non-racers are usually not allowed in and other triathletes are very respectful.

• Jessica March 12, 2010, 5:08 pm

Have you tried Body Glide / spray oil (cheap body glide)?

Also, how about two swimcaps. If the water is really cold it will keep you a little warmer (no cold water headache), and you can put the straps for your goggles inbetween the two layers so they don’t fall off in the water or stray fingers or hands or feet in the mash don’t knock them off your head.

Some people use baby powder on their feet to help get their socks on after the swim.

And like the other reader said just practice your T1 and T2 in your living room a few times. It really helps!

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!

• LindsayRuns March 12, 2010, 5:11 pm

My nerves are already going for my 10K tomorrow, and now they are buzzing for you all all your stuff! You’re gonna do amazing!!! 🙂

• Zelda March 12, 2010, 5:20 pm

I thought you were going to wear your “swim bike run blog” shirt, since you said so in another post in the past?
    But I do love your No Meat Athlete shirt!

• Caitlin March 12, 2010, 5:34 pm

i forgot the swim bike run shirt bleds when wet ;(

• Alison @ finnyfinds March 12, 2010, 7:50 pm

Good luck during your race! I’ll be thinking of you!

• Lisa March 12, 2010, 8:28 pm

okay, the grilled banana sandwich looks delicious. Must try!

You definitely have a lot of gear, but sounds like you’ve really thought it out. If you depend on your garmin when running, you should take it. If you don’t mind not relying on it, then don’t. It might let you enjoy the run a bit more.

• Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) March 13, 2010, 12:53 am

It does look like a lot of gear … but it is better to be safe than sorry!! I would take the garmin!

Healthy Tipping Point