Iâ€™m heading out the door for a 10+ mile (hopefully) trail run with Meghann. I LOVE TRAIL RUNS.
I am one of those people who NEED nature. I could never, ever live in a concrete jungle like New York City. I need trees and water and fresh air.
Trail runs are beautifulâ€¦
Trail runs are MUDDY!
And getting dirty is fun! :) (By the way, wearing mascara to a race â€“ I have no idea why I did that â€“ is a bad idea because you end up with raccoon eyes.)
Trail runs are nice on your knees and jointsâ€¦
But most of all, TRAIL RUNS ARE FUN!
My next big trail race is on April 10, and itâ€™s another 15-miler. I am very excited! Although I didnâ€™t train specifically on the trails last year, Iâ€™m going to try to do a trail run at least once a weekend until April 10 in preparation of the race. I think it will help a lot.
Tips for Trail Runs:
- Watch the ground ahead of you â€“ keep an eye out for roots, holes, and rocks, or you might end up with a twisted ankle.
- Regular road sneakers will be fine on flatter trail courses, but trail shoes are best (I donâ€™t have any).
- Run with a friend. Never, ever run in the forest alone!
- Go slow â€“ trail running is softer on your joints, but you use more muscles to steady yourself and will feel quite sore the next day.
- Always carry a cell phone and identification with you.
- Tell someone where you and your buddy are going!
- Use your arms to help balance you as you head down hills. Run â€œtallâ€ down and up hills â€“ donâ€™t slouch!
- Carry a CamelBak or hydration belt to ensure you have enough water.
- Leave no trace â€“ donâ€™t drop your goo packets or other trash!
- Have fun!
See you later with a recap. 🙂
Any other trail runners have some tips?