I’m heading out the door for a 10+ mile (hopefully) trail run with Meghann. I LOVE TRAIL RUNS.
I am one of those people who NEED nature. I could never, ever live in a concrete jungle like New York City. I need trees and water and fresh air.
Trail runs are beautiful…
Trail runs are MUDDY!
And getting dirty is fun! :) (By the way, wearing mascara to a race – I have no idea why I did that – is a bad idea because you end up with raccoon eyes.)
Trail runs are nice on your knees and joints…
But most of all, TRAIL RUNS ARE FUN!
My next big trail race is on April 10, and it’s another 15-miler. I am very excited! Although I didn’t train specifically on the trails last year, I’m going to try to do a trail run at least once a weekend until April 10 in preparation of the race. I think it will help a lot.
Tips for Trail Runs:
- Watch the ground ahead of you – keep an eye out for roots, holes, and rocks, or you might end up with a twisted ankle.
- Regular road sneakers will be fine on flatter trail courses, but trail shoes are best (I don’t have any).
- Run with a friend. Never, ever run in the forest alone!
- Go slow – trail running is softer on your joints, but you use more muscles to steady yourself and will feel quite sore the next day.
- Always carry a cell phone and identification with you.
- Tell someone where you and your buddy are going!
- Use your arms to help balance you as you head down hills. Run “tall” down and up hills – don’t slouch!
- Carry a CamelBak or hydration belt to ensure you have enough water.
- Leave no trace – don’t drop your goo packets or other trash!
- Have fun!
See you later with a recap. 🙂
Any other trail runners have some tips?