Today is the Husbandâ€™s 30th birthday!
I am so excited because I have a BIG SURPRISE for him. Kristienâ€™s very best friend Joe is flying in from Philadelphia today! I pick Joe up from the airport this afternoon. Iâ€™m not sure if K will truly be surprised â€“ he said he spoke to Joe on the phone over the weekend and he was â€˜suspiciously gigglyâ€™ â€“ but I do know that heâ€™ll be thrilled regardless. (Donâ€™t worry â€“ he wonâ€™t see this before then!)
I have a ton of prep work to get done before Joe arrives. My car broke at the beginning of the week so Iâ€™ve been carless. Gotta get to the store so I can feed everyone this weekend. Our fridge is bare.
Well â€“ not so bare that I couldnâ€™t make this lovely pie for breakfast!
I love making casserole/pies like this in the morning because I can mix up all the ingredients before Henry wakes up, pop it in the oven, and pull it out when weâ€™re all ready to eat. Prep work is minimal and the result is a pretty, delicious dish.
Quinoa and Spinach Breakfast Pie
Ingredients (for 3 â€“ 4 servings):
- 1/2 cup measured dry quinoa
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup frozen spinach
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup pasta sauce
- Salt to taste
- Optional: Top with shredded cheese (a white cheese would be good!)
- Cook quinoa according to these directions.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease a cast iron skillet or a pie dish.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, spinach, carrots, oil, pasta sauce, salt, and cooked quinoa.
- Pour egg mix into cast iron skillet. Top with cheese, if desired.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let stand five minutes, slice and serve.
We put a candle in Kristienâ€™s slice so we could sing Happy Birthday, and then we put it in Henryâ€™s piece so he could practice, too. With my birthday in April and Kristienâ€™s in May, I think Henry will be an old pro at candle blowing by the time his second birthday rolls around in June!
Have a wonderful day.