Woah. Today was definitely an oh-my-goodness travel day. By the time it was over and I was FINALLY in Kalamazoo, Michigan, I felt like this:
Here’s how it went down:
- First flight was at 7 AM.
- Sat on plane until 8 AM in the heat because the air conditioning wasn’t working; then, the flight was canceled.
- Get on second flight in Charlotte. My carry-on bag is checked because there wasn’t enough room (you know where this story is going…)
- Arrive in Detroit and discover flight to Grand Rapids (a one-hour drive to Kalamazoo) is canceled due to mechanical issues.
- Wait three hours in airport. Next flight gets pushed back an hour, and then canceled due to weather.
- I start to panic a little bit… I almost cried, but I put on my big girl panties.
- Realize that I only have three hours before my presentation is suppose to start. Abandon checked bag, rent a car, and drive two hours in the pouring rain to Kalamazoo.
I arrived at the presentation site with only 15 minutes to spare! And only the clothes on my back and my laptop. Whew.
I popped into this cute little grocery store to grab some food:
I had some lovely chilled beets with goat cheese, tomatoes, and pistachios:
And roasted Brussel sprouts and other greens:
Then it was time for my Operation Beautiful presentation. I was so, so honored to be asked by the Girls on the Run Kalamazoo council to speak at their volunteer appreciation event. Their 5K is tomorrow (yes, a Thursday!). Honestly, I was in a really bad mood when I walked in (understandable, right?) but once I heard from local Kalamazoo GOTR participants and volunteers, I felt so much better. GOTR rules.
I also got to meet two readers, Chrissy and Kristin! They were so sweet.
The event featured speeches by girls, music, giveaways, and a presentation by little old me. I think it went well!
Plus, some appetizers – I grabbed the veggie spring rolls.
After the presentation, it was time for me to sort of all the travel snafus.
First, I headed to the Kalamazoo airport to confirm my luggage hadn’t arrived. The Delta representative at the Kalamazoo airport was SO helpful and rerouted my flight tomorrow. Instead of driving 1-hour away to fly out of Grand Rapids, now I can fly out of Kalamazoo! Wahoo!
And since I didn’t have any luggage (literally, all I have is my purse and laptop), I headed to Target for some necessities.
In the bag:
- Something to sleep in (nekkid in a hotel bed?! Ew. No.)
- Contact solution
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Clean underwear
I also grabbed a Clif Bar, which I ate right away.
And last, but not least, when I checked in my hotel, I asked the front desk for their ‘secret box of leftover cords.’ All hotels have a box behind the front desk of computer cords and USB cords that other people accidentally left behind. If you ever forget a charger (or your luggage gets lost), you can find almost ANY cord in the secret box. Just ask! Now, my iPhone is charging. And I’m happy.
Whew, what a day! It was rough, but I stayed positive, and it ended up being quite wonderful in the end… Let’s just hope my luggage is waiting for me back home in Charlotte!