Every meal at my in-lawsâ€™ in a huge production â€“ and we like it that way! Breakfast is an all-morning affair, lunch stretches through the afternoon, and dinner takes hours to prepare and enjoy.
I was put on lunch duty and decided to buck the â€˜spend hours in the kitchenâ€™ tradition by whipping up these easy burritos. Iâ€™ll put my hours in for dinner. 🙂
A few family members gave this dish a sideways glance when I placed it on the table, but one bite and they were sold! Spicy, creamy, and sweet, this burrito is a perfect combination of flavors.
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burritos
Ingredients (for five servings):
- 2 large sweet potatoes, chopped
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked
- 1/2 can canned tomatoes
- Juice of three lemons
- 1/2 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup Gorgonzola cheese
- Three vine-ripe tomatoes
- Five tortilla (my mother-in-law had spinach tortillas)
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add chopped sweet potatoes and boil until soft.
- Meantime, combine drained black beans, brown rice, canned tomatoes, lemon juice, salt, and ground red pepper flakes.
- Combine sweet potatoes to rice and bean mix and thoroughly mash.
- Scoop 1/5 of mixture into center of wrap, top with cheese and tomato, and roll.
- Serve with hot sauce
After eating, we went on a bike ride along the intracoastal â€“ beautiful! This is my favorite nature spot in the entire world, and Iâ€™m sure itâ€™s easy to see why!
You can take the girl out of Florida, but you canâ€™t take the Florida out of the girl!