It you like sweet entrees, you will looove this baked rice dish.
Now – I’ll admit that this dish got a lukewarm reception from the Husband, who said it was “lost in translation between dinner and dessert.” But I LOVE sweet rice dishes so I was a huge fan.
Plus, its covered in reduced apple juice. How could it not be amazing?
Sweet Apple Baked Rice
Ingredients (makes four servings):
- 3/4 brown rice
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 pack extra firm tofu
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/4 cup raisins, chopped
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1/4 cup vanilla almond milk
- Sprinkle of salt
- 1 apple, sliced
- 1.5 tablespoon butter
- 3 cups apple juice
- Another drizzle of maple syrup
- Preheat over to 375 degrees.
- Prepare brown rice according to package direction.
- Drain tofu and press extra firm tofu of excessive juice (for about two minutes)
- Chop tofu into squares and, in a large bowl, combine tofu, pecans, raisins, maple syrup, and cinnamon.
- Using a spoon, crumble the tofu and mix everything together.
- Punch the sweet potato with a fork and microwave for about 4 minutes. Let cool and then remove the skin. Chop and add to tofu mix.
- Add almond milk and salt. Mix in cooked brown rice.
- Grease a heavy pie dish, pour rice and tofu mix in. Using a spatula, pack down the mix.
- Top rice with sliced apple.
- Melt butter in microwave and drizzle on top.
- Cover with alumnium foil and bake at 374 degrees for 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, remove foil and bake for another 15.
- Meanwhile, bring apple juice to a roiling boil to reduce. It will take about 15 minutes for the mix to reduce. At the very end, add a drizzle of maple syrup.
- Remove serving, plate (it will be all crumbly), and drizzle with sauce.
Let’s see… beyond making this face-rocking baked rice dish, I also went to a 90-minute hot yoga class, munched on yummy toast, went on a long walk with the Husband and James, wrapped Christmas presents, and now I’m trying to write another chapter of the book.
Happy Sunday! 🙂