Don’t sweat the small stuff! I’ve had a problem with this in the past, but I’m getting better and better at letting things go, especially when they really don’t matter in the grand scheme of my life. For example…
- There is a lot of dust, crumbs, and dog hair on my kitchen floor. Normally, that freaks me out. I can live with it for another day; the microscopic germs are not going to kill me, the Husband, or my dogs.
- When other people cannot drive like fully functional human beings, I do not need to let my blood pressure rise to astronomical heights. It is not worth getting upset over.
- I do not need to find “the perfect gift” for everyone on my Christmas list. They know how much I love them and that money is tight.
- Negative noise and energy vampires have no impact on how I feel about myself, my life, or my work.
- Maggie smells, but it’s OK. I can give her a bath when I have more time. It’s fine if she stinks up my sheets.
- I hate vegetables. It’s not the end of the world. I eat them anyway.
- Sometimes, the Husband and I will get into silly arguments about silly things that do not really matter. I try to react with love and forgiveness instead of taking out my frustrations on him.
- I can still run a successful marathon even if I don’t reach my mileage goals 100% of the time. Running is for fun, anyway. If it stops being fun, I have a major problem.
- I might fail my Anatomy final that I’m taking in one hour. I will still pass the course.
- We might have to move in with our in-laws in the summer. But relatively speaking, we have it better than 95% of the world. We have a safe place to live, food, a steady source of income, a violence-free life, and a happy, healthy family. I am thankful for these things and will not make myself unhappy trying to “keep up with the Joneses.”
- I have the power to refocus my time and energy on things that really matter. I have the willpower to let the small things slide.
What’s small stuff really sweats you? How do you let it go?
I love this! After all, the only person you can change is YOURSELF! You can’t change anyone else (like those slow drivers or those energy vampires). You can only change YOU an how YOU react to them. 🙂