Toes are almost out of sight.
Great swim this morning! DadHTP and I headed to the pool bright and early and did 0.5-mile. We’ve figured out that we have to work around the water aerobics schedule – they close down one of three lap lanes to accommodate the old ladies and gents doin’ their thang near one edge of the pool (not stereotyping water aerobics; that’s just how these classes are). If we show up while a class is in session, it’s tricky. Happily, I like lane sharing – getting water splashed into your mouth is good triathlon practice, right? – and it usually works out.
I was thinking about this earlier – how do other swimmers wash their swim gear? Chlorine eats swimsuits for breakfast; my last suit was so saggy after a few years of us. I just bring my wet swimsuit home, toss it in the shower with me, and rinse it under warm water. Sometimes, I squirt body wash on it, but not very often. Then, I hang it up to air dry on the showerhead. I never rinse my cap or goggles; I’ve had both for well over four years, and they’re holding up well.
I did some quick Googling and discovered opinions about washing swim gear vary widely. A few suggestions:
Some people recommend laying your swimsuit out flat to dry so it doesn’t stretch.
Others use a special detergent made just for swimsuits and hand wash it in the sink.
Liquid hand soap can be used in lieu of detergent.
Latex swim caps should be rinsed, dried with a towel, and dusted with baby powder. Lycra, silicone, or neoprene caps should be rinsed and allowed to air dry.
Goggles should be rinsed and allowed to air dry.
Taking a shower in your suit before getting into the pool may prevent it from absorbing some chlorine <— not sure I believe this…. sounds like an urban legend.
I buy my suits on deep sale at Dick’s or Sports Authority, so if they last me two years before breaking down, I think my shower-rinse method is acceptable by my own standards. If I had pricier gear, though, I might do things differently…
Lunch included more lentils and cheese. Can’t get enough.
So – how do you take care of your swim gear? And, as an extension of this issue, are you really careful with your workout gear in general? I must admit that I’m not – I toss my bike into the back of my car without a care; I pull off my running shoes without untying the laces (bad because it stretches out the shoes)
I untie my shoes, and 90% of the time, don’t put any of my lycra workout stuff in the dryer. The other 10% of the time, it’s because I need it dry for an event.