Last night, I dreamt of coffee cake (must have been all the time I spent in Barnes and Noble yesterday), but with a cereal crumble topping.
This Cereal Crumble Cake was a delicious change of pace for breakfast. It tastes like a moist, fruity cake, but it’s actually quite healthy.
Ingredients (For 2 servings. You could reduce this recipe to one serving by halving all the ingredients and baking it in a single serving ramekin instead of a loaf pan):
- 2 servings rice or corn crisp cereal – approximately 1.5 cups (I used Puffins)
- 2 bananas, sliced thinly
- 4 large strawberries, sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup almond milk, separated into 1/4s
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup whole wheat pancake mix
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine 1/4 almond milk, cinnamon, and pancake mix.
- Add sliced bananas and strawberries and coat thoroughly.
- Grease loaf pan and spread fruit mix along the bottom. Pat down with spatula.
- Place cereal in a ziploc bag and crush the cereal into tiny bits.
- In a small bowl, mix cereal and 1/4 almond milk. It should be chunky.
- Spoon mix over fruit and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Remove foil and broil at 500 for 2 – 4 minutes until top starts to brown. Be really careful not to brown!
- Serve warm or cold – it’s delicious either way.
I really loved this breakfast! It was so unique and fun to both prepare and eat. And it went really well with a tall, strong cup of coffee. 🙂
I’m off for a running date with my brother-in-law Nick. He got into running several months ago, but I’m going to take him to the trails and show him the glory that is off-road running.
But first… I have to put together our new vacuum and clean. Our vac broke a few weeks ago and our apartment desperately needs to be vacuumed (I normally vac once a week – we have two dogs, and I hate carpet to begin with). I don’t know why we have such bad luck with vacs, but we’ve owned 4 vacs in 3 years. Isn’t that ridiculous? (They weren’t all the cheapies, either – one was $150 and it busted in a year!)