Update your Google Readers! www.healthytippingpoint.com/feed
Sorry for the delay in posting. :( My Internet was down all morning, which was so frustrating because I live and breathe my computer. My technical issues did mean that I had time to clean the house AND make a yummy breakfast:
I love whole wheat waffles, but I do not love them with maple syrup! I only like some sort of creamy yogurt-based topping, like this seasonal-inspired treat:
To make the pumpkin yogurt topping, I mixed:
- 1/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon ground flax
My waffles were packed with protein, and I even snuck a vegetable in! 🙂
I ate 1.25 waffles – these babies were big! I’m trying to train myself to stop eating when I’m full, not when I’ve cleaned my plate. I grew up in a “clean your plate” family, and although I do not like to waste food, I’d rather eat intuitively than end up stuffed.
My tips for intuitive eating:
- Eat slowly! If you’re in a rush, you won’t “notice” when you’re full and may end up overeating.
- Eat the most nutritious part of your meal first. If your lunch consists of a yummy sandwich with veggies on whole wheat bread and a bag of chips, eat the sammie first.
- Use smaller plates. Research shows that people use the size of their plate to determine if a portion is sized correctly, not the actual amount of food. A smaller plate means you’re less likely to serve up too much food in the first place.
- Similarly, use smaller silverware. You guys know I love my tiny spoons! Smaller silverware means less food per bite = slower eating = less likely to overeat.
- Wait a while for dessert. Take a breather in between dinner and dessert to see if you really “want” it or if you’re just following social cues.
- Savor your food. Food is meant to be enjoyed!
Do you try to eat intuitively?
I’m not sure if I eat intuitively or not. I don’t think about it that much I guess. I know how much food I normally eat and how much I’ve always eaten, and I tend to eat that. sometimes if i really like it, I eat too much and am stuffed. other times I have to consciously restrain myself from eating 5 desserts, but in general I just eat. I’m trying to teach my husband to stop before he eats too much though, so we’ve implemented a “wait a few minutes before you get seconds” rule in our house 🙂