We had so much fun at our local wine superstore (Total Wine) today! For Valentine’s Day, I gave the Husband two tickets to the "California Dreamin’ – Wines from Napa Valley" class. Since we just went to Napa for our honeymoon (Part I and Part II of the honeymoon recaps), the especially was especially fun!
According to Total Wine, the Four S’s of wine tasting are:
- Spit… which should really be swallow. 🙂
This was our classroom! I kind of felt like I was in college again.
We tried 8 different wines:
- Dominican Oaks Sauvignon Blanc (I rated this a 87/100 points)
- Beaucanon Chardonnay (88)
- Titus Chardonnay (92 — this was supreb!)
- Napa Wine Company Zinfandel (92)
- Avenel Cellars Red Wine Blend (89)
- Courtney Benhan Cabernet Sauvignon (93)
- Philip Togni Cabernet Sauvignon (91)
- Caymus Cabernet Sauvignon (94)
And we learned tons of fun Napa Valley facts:
- Napa Valley is only 5 miles wide and 30 miles long.
- There are 43,000 acres of vineyards (only 1/8 the size of Bordeaux, France)
- 4% of California’s total protection
- Temperatures fluctuate as much as 15 degrees from the north to the south of the valley. This is due to the rolling fog, which cools the south and rarely reaches to the north.
They even gave us snacks:
Which we ate a LOT of!
French bread, pepperoni, cheese, etc.
We enjoyed class very much! It was an entertaining and delicious 2 hours. 🙂
The Husband bought 5 bottles with a gift card I also gave him for Valentine’s Day.
Which means the 18 bottle wine fridge is officially full. My Husband is obsessed. He needs to start drinking these wines!
Dinner tonight was totally fueled by my drunkenness + the fact that I ran 12.0 miles this morning!
Yea… that’s breakfast for dinner again. 3 pieces of WW French toast, maple syrup, and 1/2 an apple with some pumpkin butter.
Do you love wine as much as we do? I must say — you all know I’m a generally healthy gal, but I LOVE a good beer or glass of vino. Especially on a Sunday!