The Need for SPEED!
Ok, I’m officially addicted to speedwork. My 5K made me want to push myself harder and harder and get faster and faster. Of course, I still love long distances, but with my knees being the way they are, my new passion for short and fast is probably a VERY good thing!
I did a very speedy session on the treadmill tonight! It was exhausting, but thrilling and empowering. I managed to hold a 7:00-minute mile sprint three times!
My speedwork workout involved running a 5K:
- Warm up: 5.5 mph, 1 minute
- Sprint 1: 7.5 mph, 2 minutes (a 8:00-minute mile)
- Rest: 6.5 mph, 1 minute
- Sprint 2: 8.5 mph, 2 minutes (a 7:00-minute mile)
- Rest: 6.5 mph, 1 minute
- Repeat Sprint Cycles 1 and 2 two more times.
- Repeat Sprint Cycle 1 two more times.
- Rest: 6.5 mph until the end of the 5K.
Luckily, I am not one of those people who are concerned about what others at the gym think about them. I was hauling ASS, sweating and swearing, but it felt GREAT! I completed the 5K in 25:50, almost two minutes slower than my race time. Announcing a new Running Goal: I want to break a 22-minute 5K!
After my run, I did some tricep curls and bicep curls, and I did ab work.
December Challenge – Making Abs Fun, Day 5
The December Challenge is going pretty well. I’ve done ab work 5 times now since December 3, which isn’t "every other day" as originally intended — but trust me, it’s more than I would be doing normally!
To recap, here’s the December Challenge so far:
- Day 1: Planks!
- Day 2: Table Leg Leg Lift
- Day 3: Captain’s Chair
- Day 4: "V" Sit-Ups
- Day 5: Bicycle Crunches
Yes, ladies — bicycle crunches! Pretty much the staple ab exercise. I used to do these 3 or 4 times a week, but I just fell out of habit. Maybe I’ll get back on the bandwagon now, but they *are* pretty fun and easy (and you can watch TV in the process!!).
How to do a bicycle crunch:
- Lay on your back with your arms resting behind your head.
- Twisting to the side, crunch your right elbow to your right knee, extending your left leg straight out in front of you and hovering about 4 inches above the ground.
- Keep your chin away from your chest. Pretend there is an invisible apple in between your chin and chest! Don’t stretch your neck forward with your hands, either. No straining!
- Pause for 1 count and slowly switch sides. Keep your stomach tight as your do this. Pretend your belly button is pressing to the floor.
- And…. repeat! I usually do 3 sets of 30 reps (each side is 1 rep).
Sorry I look so sweaty and gross! I was straight from the gym. Also, I never know where to look in these pictures — so I have zombie eyes. 🙂
My light lunch kept me surprising FULL! I needed some fruit, so around 1 PM, I snacked on raisins…
And around 4 PM, I had Kashi Puffs with vanilla yogurt and a few slivered almonds.
And… James and Shamu stared out the window all day long.
Dinner – Fish Burritos
For dinner, I used this recipe to make fish burritos. I added in green peppers and skipped the salsa.
This brand of wraps consists of 100 calories and contains no trans fat. Whoo hoo! I had two wraps.
And one tiny Cadbury’s Milk Chocolate Square was enough to tame my sweet tooth…
Time to shower, relax, and SLEEP! Have a wonderful night.
Oh and…. exciting news! I have a NEW contest to announce — you could win $100 for a new pair of workout sneakers!! Get excited…. details are likely coming on Wednesday!