The Need for SPEED!
Ok, I’m officially addicted to speedwork. My 5K made me want to push myself harder and harder and get faster and faster. Of course, I still love long distances, but with my knees being the way they are, my new passion for short and fast is probably a VERY good thing!
I did a very speedy session on the treadmill tonight! It was exhausting, but thrilling and empowering. I managed to hold a 7:00-minute mile sprint three times!
My speedwork workout involved running a 5K:
- Warm up: 5.5 mph, 1 minute
- Sprint 1: 7.5 mph, 2 minutes (a 8:00-minute mile)
- Rest: 6.5 mph, 1 minute
- Sprint 2: 8.5 mph, 2 minutes (a 7:00-minute mile)
- Rest: 6.5 mph, 1 minute
- Repeat Sprint Cycles 1 and 2 two more times.
- Repeat Sprint Cycle 1 two more times.
- Rest: 6.5 mph until the end of the 5K.
Luckily, I am not one of those people who are concerned about what others at the gym think about them. I was hauling ASS, sweating and swearing, but it felt GREAT! I completed the 5K in 25:50, almost two minutes slower than my race time. Announcing a new Running Goal: I want to break a 22-minute 5K!
After my run, I did some tricep curls and bicep curls, and I did ab work.
December Challenge – Making Abs Fun, Day 5
The December Challenge is going pretty well. I’ve done ab work 5 times now since December 3, which isn’t "every other day" as originally intended — but trust me, it’s more than I would be doing normally!
To recap, here’s the December Challenge so far:
- Day 1: Planks!
- Day 2: Table Leg Leg Lift
- Day 3: Captain’s Chair
- Day 4: "V" Sit-Ups
- Day 5: Bicycle Crunches
Yes, ladies — bicycle crunches! Pretty much the staple ab exercise. I used to do these 3 or 4 times a week, but I just fell out of habit. Maybe I’ll get back on the bandwagon now, but they *are* pretty fun and easy (and you can watch TV in the process!!).
How to do a bicycle crunch:
- Lay on your back with your arms resting behind your head.
- Twisting to the side, crunch your right elbow to your right knee, extending your left leg straight out in front of you and hovering about 4 inches above the ground.
- Keep your chin away from your chest. Pretend there is an invisible apple in between your chin and chest! Don’t stretch your neck forward with your hands, either. No straining!
- Pause for 1 count and slowly switch sides. Keep your stomach tight as your do this. Pretend your belly button is pressing to the floor.
- And…. repeat! I usually do 3 sets of 30 reps (each side is 1 rep).
Sorry I look so sweaty and gross! I was straight from the gym. Also, I never know where to look in these pictures — so I have zombie eyes. 🙂
My light lunch kept me surprising FULL! I needed some fruit, so around 1 PM, I snacked on raisins…
And around 4 PM, I had Kashi Puffs with vanilla yogurt and a few slivered almonds.
And… James and Shamu stared out the window all day long.
Dinner – Fish Burritos
For dinner, I used this recipe to make fish burritos. I added in green peppers and skipped the salsa.
This brand of wraps consists of 100 calories and contains no trans fat. Whoo hoo! I had two wraps.
And one tiny Cadbury’s Milk Chocolate Square was enough to tame my sweet tooth…
Time to shower, relax, and SLEEP! Have a wonderful night.
Oh and…. exciting news! I have a NEW contest to announce — you could win $100 for a new pair of workout sneakers!! Get excited…. details are likely coming on Wednesday!
Good to know I’m not the only one who swears under her breath while running any speed above 7 mph! 😉