≡ Menu

Toasted Ptitim

in All Posts

If you liked the textures and flavors of my toasted quinoa recipes (Pumpkin Spice and Sweet and Salty), then you’ll absolutely love this recipe!

IMG_8845

Ptitim, or Israeli couscous, is a large wheat couscous-like product similar to the Italian orzo.  Imagine regular couscous on steroids!

This breakfast is fresh, summery, and light but filling.

IMG_8851

Toasted Ptitim

Ingredients (for one serving):

• 1/2 cup Ptitim, raw
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
  • Drizzle honey
  • Fruits:  nectarine, blueberries, raspberries
  • Sunflower seeds for topping

Directions:

• In a small saucepan, combine ptitim and water and cook on high until all the water is dissolved.
  • Remove from heat and mix in maple syrup.
  • On greased cookie sheet, spread out the ptitim and broil on high for 4 minutes, or until it starts to brown.  Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes.
  • Wash and slice fruit.
  • Combine cooled ptitim, fruit, sunflower seeds and a drizzle of honey,
  • Enjoy!

The only real difference between this recipe and the toasted quinoa recipes is that you do actually boil the ptitim before toasting it.

So fresh!

IMG_8848

I couldn’t decide if I was going to use a fork or a spoon.  I went with spoon.  :)

IMG_8849

Work begins!

"My list of ingredients for success is divided into four basic groups: Inward, Outward, Upward and Onward." David Thomas

{ 36 comments }

• Jessica @ How Sweet July 19, 2010, 10:19 am

I’ve never even heard of ptitim. I love quinoa though so I’m sure I’l like it!

• Marilou @ Mostly Healthy July 19, 2010, 10:19 am

Isn’t it dry, to eat it with just fruits in it? What’s the texture likes?

• Bethany @ More Fruit Please July 19, 2010, 10:20 am

Wow, I’ve never heard of ptitim before. I love breakfasts that are so thick and packed full that a spoon or a fork could probably get the job done!

• Ilana July 19, 2010, 10:21 am

P’titim! Otherwise called Israeli cous cous! I loooove it! I saw the name of this post and got sooooo excited because I make it at home all the time and while I’ve seen “Israeli cous cous” on other people’s blogs I’ve never seen someone actually refer to it by it’s real name! I love it. So fantastic. Of course I’ve never tried it in a sweet application, I always eat it with lots of pepper and olive oil and veggies. I gotta try it for breakfast!

• Heather (Heather's Dish) July 19, 2010, 10:21 am

what an interesting ingredient! i’m going to have to find it and try it soon!

• Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin July 19, 2010, 10:23 am

Wow that looks delicious! It’s so fun that you can use any grain for breakfast cereal. This dish seems so summery!

• Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews July 19, 2010, 10:24 am

Yum! All that fruit looks great!

• tanyasdaily July 19, 2010, 10:32 am

Wow, what a breakfast , looks so good it has everything in it!

• Jill@MySoCalledHealthLife July 19, 2010, 10:39 am

Looks awesome! The only problem with breakfasts like this is prep time in the morning. I wonder if it would be good reheated? Hmmmm. Or maybe you could cook it at night and just do the broiling in the morning.

• Julie @SavvyEats July 19, 2010, 10:45 am

I’ve been wanting to know what Israeli couscous is actually called! Now I know…ptitim!

• katie July 19, 2010, 10:46 am

Creative breakfast idea, thanks!

Are any dates set for you to promote your book/go on book tour? I’d love to come to an event if you are having any in the northeast!

• caitlin July 19, 2010, 10:50 am

I’m not sure how much actual touring i’m going to do just because of the costs… we’ll see!

• Cynthia (It All Changes) July 19, 2010, 10:51 am

You always make the most interesting ideas. I tried raw oatmeal and now I don’t even think about granola. I might have to try this too.

• Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) July 19, 2010, 10:54 am

I love toasted quinoa! This looks delicious! Great way to start your day!

• Camille July 19, 2010, 10:56 am

I have never even heard of Ptitim, but it sound good!
    Have a great Monday!

• Wei-Wei July 19, 2010, 10:57 am

Use a spork! :D I’ve never heard of ptitim… to be completely honest it scares me though. I won’t tell you what it reminds me of.

Wei-Wei

• Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly July 19, 2010, 10:58 am

Sounds and looks delightful! Enjoy your Monday!

• Lisa @ Early Morning Run July 19, 2010, 10:58 am

Looks fantastic! I love all the colorful fruits and the sunflower seeds.

• Anya July 19, 2010, 11:02 am

Now I’m hungry for some couscous! the recipe looks great! :)

• Run Sarah July 19, 2010, 11:06 am

What a fun idea! I had no idea it was called ptitim, I always just call it ‘Giant’ couscous!

• Ellen @FirednFabulous July 19, 2010, 11:25 am

I’ve never even heard of ptitim before! Always learning something new here. How do you come across all these healthy, yummy finds?

• caitlin July 19, 2010, 11:31 am

I just walk around Whole Foods and buy interesting ingredients! Then I come home and figure out what to do with them.

• Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] July 19, 2010, 11:44 am

I have never heard of that grain before, but I’m liking your brex recipe!

• Annie@stronghealthyfit July 19, 2010, 12:06 pm

Mm looks delicious! I was wondering if you cooked the quinoa before you toasted it.. now i know!

• Katie @ peacebeme July 19, 2010, 12:27 pm

Love israeli couscous! I never knew this was an alternate name for it. Also love the quote today!!!! :)

• Estela @ Weekly Bite July 19, 2010, 12:43 pm

This looks delicious Caitlin! I really do love Israeli Couscous, so there’s no reason why I wouldn’t love this!

Have a great day :)

• Gavi @ GaviGetsGoing! July 19, 2010, 1:07 pm

Very interesting use of Israeli couscous! I can’t eat it, but I’m really looking forward to trying your toasted quinoa recipe for breakfast soon. It’s such a creative way to bring in grains in the morning!

• Megan (Braise The Roof) July 19, 2010, 1:14 pm

Your breakfasts are always so creative! Sigh, if only my long morning commute didn’t limit my options…this looks like a good weekend breakfast, though! :)

• Chelsey July 19, 2010, 1:33 pm

Go you on being so creative – I get in such a breakfast rut. Is it sad I look forward to overnight oats the second it is gone in the morning? Not at all!

• Amber K @ sparkpeople July 19, 2010, 2:03 pm

Definitely sounds interesting!

• Dee July 19, 2010, 2:03 pm

This looks delicious!

• Heather (Where's the Beach) July 19, 2010, 3:56 pm

This sounds really good. I never think to buy Israeli couscous.

• Dominique July 19, 2010, 7:33 pm

I love Israeli couscous! My favourite way to eat it, is mixed with chopped up sauteed mushrooms, onions and thyme. It’s so good! I would have never though of trying it in a sweet dish and toasted as well. I can’t wait to try this.