Iâ€™ve got exciting news! But firstâ€¦
A wonderful lunch! I love salads when itâ€™s so hot outside. This mix was absolutely divine and super filling.
The mix contained:
- Spinach, arugula, and mixed greens
- Raw broccoli
- Stir-fried artichokes
- Sundried tomatoes
- Stir-fried corn
And on the side, I had two pieces of hearty bread with Chocolate PB.
And for afternoon snack #1, I had a bowl of cherries:
My New Fitness Challenge
Yesterday, I took a poll asking for suggestions for my latest fitness challenge. My requirements were as follows:
- It canâ€™t be a huge time commitment â€“ a max of 1 hour a day, 4 times a week.
- I need to be able to do it from the comforts of my home or while traveling. I donâ€™t belong to a gym!
- Iâ€™d like to make my running fasterâ€¦ my pace has dropped lately because I havenâ€™t been doing speedwork!
- I actually like exercise videos.
- Iâ€™d like to tone up and get stronger.
- I could sign up for a 5K without feeling too much â€˜training pressure.â€™
In order of popularity, I received the following suggestions:
- P90X or the INSANITY Workout DVDs: Although more than 25 commenters recommended these programs, I have to pass because 1) I donâ€™t want to spend $100 on workout DVDs; 2) Iâ€™ve heard Insanity is not a good plan for people with knee problems; and 3) Itâ€™s an hour a day, all week. Too much time commitment for me right now.
- TRAIN FOR SPEED: An equal number of people recommended that I train for speed, whether I set my sights on getting speedy for a mile, 5K, or 10K distance.
- YOGA CHALLENGE: About 10 people suggested I try a month-long yoga challenge. Many people recommended the Yoga Downloads site so I could do the challenge without having to join a studio.
Other suggestions included:
- Adventure races, such as the Warrior Dash
- Muay Thai martial arts
- The 100 Push-Up Challenge
- No More Trouble Zones
- ChaLEAN videos
- Ginaâ€™s Summer Shape-Up
- Run 100 miles in one month
- Bike 100 miles a week
- Capoeira workouts
THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR THE SUGGESTIONS! It was a lot of fun to read everyoneâ€™s thoughts and experiences about Fitness Challenges.
Iâ€™ve decided to do a TWO part challenge. :) Itâ€™s a HYBRID Speedy 5K + Jillian Michaels’ No More Trouble Zones Challenge!
Iâ€™ve done Jillian Michaelsâ€™ 30 Day Shred before as a 30-day blog challenge (recap) and loved it. After hearing such great things about NMTZ (and yes, the title of that DVD sucks), I really want to try it!
But I know from experience with the 30 Day Shred that the DVD isnâ€™t truly a â€˜stand aloneâ€™ workout, and I want to continue running regularly (of course), so Iâ€™ll be starting a Speedy 5K training plan in hopes of FINALLY beating my 5K personal record of 23:42. Iâ€™m going to aim for a sub-23:00 race.
Iâ€™m excited for this new blog challenge because 1) I can do it at home or while traveling; and 2) thereâ€™s enough variety so I wonâ€™t get bored. I think NMTZ will help me shape my body in new ways (especially because I struggle to do any sort of weight training regularly).
Iâ€™m starting the challenge NEXT MONDAY so stay tuned for my training schedule! Anyone else want to join me in the Speedy 5K/NMTZ Challenge?