The key to homemade icing is you MUST use butter AT ROOM TEMPERATURE. You have to plan ahead and let the butter sit out for 2 hours or so… melting in the microwave won’t work (trust me, I’ve tried).
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter.
- Slowly add the sugar, beating thoroughly.
- Add in the milk and vanilla.
- Beat mix for at least 5 minutes (the longer, the better). Add more powdered sugar if necessary!
- Slather on cupcakes, cake, fingers, whatever– enjoy!