Recently, someone told me that casseroles were old fashioned and out of style. I begged to differ. After all, if casseroles are wrong, I donâ€™t want to be right!
Why do I call this the Cross Your Fingers Casserole? Well, I literally tossed random ingredients in a dish and crossed my fingers. I doubted it would turn out for a little bit â€“ but then I popped a forkful of the casserole into the Husbandâ€™s mouth and he said, â€œMmmm! This is AMAZING.â€
The ingredients include whole wheat pasta, hummus, canned soup, faux vegan sausages, and spinach. Plus â€“ the magical ingredient: KETCHUP!
Yes, ketchup was a last-minute addition. I think a tomato-sauce or ketchup is a good addition to a cheese- or egg-less casserole. It adds flavor and oomph.
Ingredients (for 6 servings):
- 4 cups whole wheat pasta (measured dry)
- 1 can Amyâ€™s Vegetable Barley soup
- 1/2 cup hummus
- 2 Field Roast faux vegan sausages
- 4 huge handfuls of spinach
- Generous squirts of ketchup
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Boil water and prepare pasta according to package directions. Cook under al dente.
- Pre-heat a wok.
- Meanwhile, tear up the spinach with your hands. In a large bowl, combine the soup, hummus, pepper, and spinach. Stir and let the spinach soak up the flavors.
- Chop the sausages and add to the wok. Cook until browned.
- Drain pasta and add to spinach mix. Add sausage. Mix thoroughly.
- Grease a large casserole dish and pour mix into the dish.
- Squirt ketchup generously on top, cover with tin foil, and bake for 35 minutes.
- Let cool for a few minutes before serving.
This casserole was the perfect dish for a spontaneous dinner party with Nicole and Isaac.
Nicole brought over the veg!
And I went back for seconds. Soooo good.
And then we played several intense rounds of Scattergories. Love that game!!
Letâ€™s see â€“ I also ran 4.0 miles today, which was an accomplishment because Iâ€™ve only ran that far a few times in the last four weeks. I was very proud of myself! I didnâ€™t wear a watch so I have no idea how long it took, but I didnâ€™t walk at all. Watch out â€“ Caitlinâ€™s on a comeback!