My new 10K Advanced Training Program called for a 50-minute "tempo" run tonight. I was SO excited to try a new style of running!
Tempo Run = A tempo run is a continuous run with a buildup in the middle to near 10K race pace (9-minute mile pace). The pace buildup should be gradual, not sudden, with peak speed coming about in the later portion of the workout.
I used Google Earth to map out a 5.0 mile course from my front door, noting the intersection where each 1.0-mile marker occurred. Here was my tempo run plan:
- Mile 0.0 to Mile 1.0 – Pace a 10:00-mile
- Mile 1.0 to Mile 2.0 – Pace a 10:00-mile
- Mile 2.0 to Mile 3.0 – Pace a 9:00-mile
- Mile 3.0 to Mile 4.0 – Pace a 9:00-mile
- Mile 4.0 to Mile 5.0 – Pace a 9:00-mile
- Last three minutes: Cool Down!
It was a really challenging and FUN way to run! It was difficult to maintain such a fast (for me) pace during the last three miles, but it helped keep my mind occupied. Plus, I can definitely tell tempo runs will make me a faster runner! The 50 minutes FLEW by!
Here are my statistics:
- Duration: 50 minutes
- Average Heart Rate: 178 bpm
- Maximum Heart Rate: 203 bpm (workin’ hard)
- Calories Burned: 498
My continuous hunger never really stopped all afternoon (maybe I’m preggers???…. JUST KIDDING, Dad!). Around 4:00 PM, I had a hoagie roll with 1 tb of PB and a banana. This essentially served as my pre-run snack.
Future Husband made dinner!!! It was delicious and pretty, too! He even took the pictures for me while I showered!
- A baked chicken breast stuffed with a slice of cheddar cheese, roasted tomato, rosemary, and pepper.
- Roasted zuchinni with a drizzle of maple syrup (a DIVINE idea!)
- Brown rice with roasted bella mushrooms and red peppers
It was delicious and kind of complicated! I was very impressed! He always serves up more than I can ever eat… I had about 2/3 of the chicken, but all of the veggies and rice.
Well, off to watch the debate! Have a wonderful night!