On my 5.0 mile run tonight, I got to thinking about why I run. I realized I can’t define it in just one sentence or even two.
- I run because one day I might not be able to.
- I run because it’s more Earth-friendly than driving to the gym and plugging into the treadmill.
- I run to maintain my weight loss.
- I run because it gives me time to myself and lets me sort through my thoughts on life, love, and my greater purpose.
- I run because it gets me out of my office, off my couch, and into the great outdoors.
- I run because I want to live to 100!
- I run to discover my limits and break them.
- I run so I can eat yummy foods without being obsessed about my calorie intake.
- I run so when people ask me if I have a hobby, I actually have something to say!
- I run to keep my body strong and fit, so I can one day have healthy children and start a family with Future Husband.
As you can tell, my 5.0 miler was quite glorious! I focused on happy thoughts and began to pump myself up for my long, long run tomorrow! Here are my statistics:
- Duration: 47 minutes (5.0 miles)
- Average Heart Rate: 169
- Maximum Heart Rate: 199
- Calories Burned: 424
Before my run, I stopped at the gym and did upper-body weights. I did 3 reps of 12 bicep curls (30 lbs), 3 reps of 12 tricep push-downs (40 lbs), 3 reps of 10 assisted chin chips (assisted with 70 lbs), and 3 reps of 12 double pulley rows (30 lbs).
Dinner took a while to cook, so I had a 1 scoop of Muscle Milk with 1 cup of skim milk.
Pre-Long Run Day Dinner – Pad Thai
I used the Taste of Thai mix, but this time I only used 1/2 portion of the noodles. I added 1.5 tablespoon of raw unsalted peanuts, 1/3 block of baked tofu (rubbed in chili powder and pepper), a large bunch of steamed broc, and some baby corn. MMMMM delicious! A perfect pre-long run day dinner!
I haven’t had dessert… yet… but there’s a fresh watermelon in the fridge, calling my name!
I normally have two mid-day snacks, but I was super hungry this afternoon and had three! Hey, if I’m hungry… I’m HUNGRY! :) My pre-run snack consisted of a banana and PB.
A little earlier, I had a bowl of 1/4 cup Grape Nuts + 1/4 cup Granola + 1/2 cup yogurt…. my favorite. 🙂
I also had three fresh prunes in a fun little heart dish.
I’d love to hear YOUR REASONS for running or your favorite form of physical activity!