(I can thank Operation Beautiful for the fact that I’m not in the least bit embarrassed anymore to post photos of me sans make-up.)
I used to be really, really scared of "meditation." It sounds complicated and voodoo magic-y. But meditation really isn’t that hard at all, and the benefits are extraordinary. I always feel calmer and more focused after meditating, and Lord knows we could all use some peace of mind!
My tips for mediating:
- Turn the lights down or off. If it helps, put on some relaxing music.
- Sit in the traditional position (above) or lay flat on your back. Close your eyes!
- Breathing Meditation: Focus on slowly breathing in and out. Quiet your mind and pay attention to the rhythm of your breathing. Feel the air going in and out of your lungs.
- Favorite Place Meditation: Visualize a safe or happy place. My place is a field in Yellowstone National Park that my Dad and I visited when I was younger. Imagine how it feels to be in the place, using your five senses. Relax in your safe place.
- Positive Thinking Meditation: Begin with breathing mediation, but instead of quieting your mind, picture your day going perfectly. Imagine accomplishing all your goals. Use positive phrases like, "I will be able to do…" and "I will easily finish…" I find Positive Thinking Meditation really gets my day off on the right start.
- Remember that there is no "wrong" way to meditate. Don’t be afraid to sit in silence! If your mind wanders (which is normal), just bring it back to a quiet state.
Hippie music helps!
Do you meditate? What are your tips for meditation?