I typically make my oatmeal sweet, but savory oats tastes amazing for lunch or even dinner! This delicious bowl of Savory Cheese and Bean Oatmeal served as a perfect one-dish lunch for a busy Monday.
Savory Cheese and Bean Oatmeal contains roasted dark red kidney beans, carrots, broccoli, and cheddar cheese. And, of course, OATS!
The secret to savory oatmeal is CHEESE, whether it be cottage cheese or regular shredded cheese. Cheese rules!
Savory Cheese and Bean Oatmeal
Ingredients (1 serving)
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup canned dark red kidney beans, rinsed and patted dry
- 1/2 cup broc, chopped into small pieces
- 1 carrot, chopped into small pieces
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese, plus extra for topping
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
- Mix kidney beans, carrots, and broc in EVOO and roast for 15 minutes at 400 degrees.
- When kidney beans and veggies are done, put the oatmeal, water, and salt and pepper into a pot and cook on the stovetop on Medium High until the water evaporates.
- Add kidney beans and veggies to cooked oatmeal.
- Stir in cheese.
- Pour into a pretty dish and top with more cheese.
I had my oatmeal with some cherries:
What’s your favorite way to enjoy oatmeal — SWEET or SAVORY?
I don't think I've ever had savory oatmeal, but this makes me want to try it!