Today’s breakfast is brought to you by Dr. Suess!
I woke up this AM feeling refreshed and (most importantly) PAIN FREE. That’s right, zero pain in my knees! Since I work out almost every day, it’s been several weeks that I haven’t woken up and crawled out of bed sloooooowly due to glued-together joints.
But this morning was so much better! Yay, knee sleeves!
I practically skipped into the kitchen and set to work on today’s brekkie – Savory Oatmeal!
Green Eggs and Ham Oatmeal
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped raw spinach
- Pepper to taste
- 1 slice deli meat Virginia Sweet Ham
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheese (I used Italian blend)
- Pepper to taste
- Combined first three base ingredients in a pot on the stovetop. Heat on Medium until liquid begins to boil and evaporate off.
- Add cottage cheese, pepper, and raw spinach to oatmeal, stirring thoroughly. Turn off stovetop and let stand on burner until oatmeal is finished cooking.
- Meanwhile, spray skillet with cooking oil and fry egg and ham. Move ham around constantly so it doesn’t burn or stick.
- Once egg is done cooking, scoop oatmeal into a bowl. Add egg and ham on top.
- Sprinkle oatmeal with pepper, shredded cheese, and green onions.
This was SO delicious! I’ve been nervous to try Savory Oatmeal for some time, because I love the sweetness a banana gives to oatmeal. But I didn’t miss the sweetness at all, because Green Eggs and Ham Oatmeal had a very complex taste and it was so fun to eat!
This was definitely a LARGE portion of oatmeal. I didn’t finish it, and I ALWAYS finish my regular oatmeal. However, there’s such a great balanced of whole grains, protein, and fat in this brekkie that I suspect it will keep me full ALL morning!
I also had a cup of coffee, of course!
Motivational Thought of the Day
Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful. (Albert Schweitzer)
Have a great day! See you for lunch, and later tonight — spin class + yoga! I’m mixing up my training program a little bit to take Meghann to the cool classes at my gym!