Sorry guys — I have been an excellent fitness blogger recently, but a very, very bad food blogger. I haven’t shared a new recipe in WEEKS! So, here’s two new recipes in one post.
For my mid-day snack, I made Chewy Cookies and Cream Granola. This would taste divine with yogurt or on top of oatmeal!
Chewy Cookies and Cream Granola
Ingredients (makes 2 servings):
- 1 tablespoon Muscle Milk Light Protein Powder Cookies and Cream
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 1/4 cup water
- 8 almonds, chopped
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix first 5 ingredients in a bowl. It will be kind of mushy, so don’t over mix.
- Spray a cookie sheet with EVOO spray.
- Crumble granola mix on cookie sheet, separating big chunks.
- Bake granola mix for 8 minutes.
- Rotate granola mix and add almonds.
- Cook an additional 8 minutes, remove from oven, and allow to cool
I was out of yogurt so I mixed my granola with some sliced banana. 🙂 DEEElish!
A little bit later I had my second mid-day snack…. a nice bowl of Kashi Heart to Heart cereal (alert! alert! time to go to the grocery store).
Day 1 of 10K Training
Future Husband and I had to go to the grocery store this evening, so we made our gym work outs SHORT. I skipped strength training even though it was on my schedule…. Oh well! I’ll try to do some push ups before bed.
I did an INTENSE 30-minute cardio session. I used gradually increasing intensity to keep my heart rate high.
On the elliptical (55 rotations per minute):
- Minute 0 – 2; Warm up at Level 1
- Minute 2 – 4; Level 8
- Minute 4 – 6; Level 10
- Minute 6 – 8; Level 12
- Minute 8 – 10; Level 14
- Minute 10 – 20; Repeat Cycle
Then I jumped onto the stationary bike (50 RPM):
- Minute 20 – 22; Level 1
- Minute 22 – 24; Level 10
- Minute 24 – 26; Level 12
- Minute 26 – 28; Level 14
- Minute 28 – 30; Level 16
- Minute 30 – 32; Cool down at Level 1
This schedule definitely burned more calories than my typical elliptical program (just slogging it out at Level 6 for 30 minutes). I felt a deeper burn in my thighs and arse, too! Here are my statistics:
- Duration: 32 minutes
- Average Heart Rate: 131 bpm
- Maximum Heart Rate: 161 bpm
- Calories Burned: 190
Groceries and Dinner
We went straight to the store for some much-needed grocery shopping. I ate a Chocolate Chip Z-Bar in line. 🙂 I saved the wrapper for a photo!
When we got home, I got started on dinner…. we wanted something with a little spice! This recipe always reminds me of California, one of my favorite places in the whole world.
Ingredients (for 2 Groom-sized portion and 1 Bride-sized portion; 3 burritos in total):
- 0.6 lb fresh Tilapia
- 1/4 red pepper, chopped
- 1/4 red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup baby bella mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons of taco seasonings
- 1 tablespoon EVOO
- 1 tablespoon of pepper
- 1/4 cup of salsa
- 3 burritos (I used a 100-calorie brand; check for trans fat!)
- In a large wok, combine pepper, EVOO, taco seasonings, and vegetables. Cook on Medium for 5 minutes.
- Rinse fish and add to wok.
- Cook fish and veggies on Medium for an additional 10 minutes, flipping fish occasionally and watching to make sure it doesn’t burn on either side.
- After 10 minutes, use a spatula to break up the fish and mix up with the veggies. Add salsa and heat throughout.
- Spoon into warmed burritos and serve!
These burritos are warm, filling, and delicious. I bet the leftovers would taste great in an omelet, too!
On the side, we each had a LARGE serving of steamed broc.
Well, we’re off to watch TV (obviously). We are the WORST tv rats! 🙂 But the fall programming is so good right now, I just can’t tear myself away….